How I would be using this wiki in the Student Support Services Program is to put that into our Blackboard site, so it is accessible by password by our students, who could then add their tips on study skills, time management, adjustment to college, etc. This way, the students could mentor each other, sharing ideas (including what didn’t work for them), rather than having to listen only to college staff or instructors (who say the same things). Because the SSS program is voluntary, I wouldn’t expect everyone to make contributions to the wiki, because their time is best spent on academics. But, for those students that may participate formally in our peer mentor program, they may be able to mentor many students by contributing resources for sharing, rather than only one student in a 1-1 match. The peer mentor program is under revision for our new grant, but this might be an aspect we could use more effectively, while teaching students technology skills at the same time. Mentors could also get paid for their time spent researching and adding content, and that could be logged/reviewed by the program coordinator to prevent abuse.
I’ve created a sample wiki, with pages for content adding about study skills, life/time management, and navigating college life, because those are the most common questions that we help students with when they are new. I’ve added one YouTube video I found on multitasking while studying that was relevant, and a few tips to get the ball rolling. Although the regular classroom setting usage for posting assignments and journals sounded very inviting, in my context, I don’t think that would be the correct usage for our purposes.
Problems I encountered, since I really didn’t know what I was doing including trouble embedding the video (not realizing it had been added because it showed as a still photo), trouble getting my logo to be small enough for their parameters (not having Photoshop, I couldn’t edit properly without losing clarity), and adding a photo (the one I wanted was from a Word document, not in JPEG form, so I’ll have to figure that out. Here’s the URL for the wiki, though I am not sure if anyone can see it until I figure out the members and permissions issues: http://yc-sss-program.wikispaces.com/
ITC Conf 2019
7 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment